Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Haiku Challenge of 2009

National Poetry Month is here, and I'm doing something about it!

Haiku is a form of Japanese Poetry that is strongly structured and defined, although the structure and definition do not translate perfectly into English. Haiku has 17 "sounds", divided into 3 parts: 5, 7, and 5. A rough English translation uses syllables for these sounds.

I am challenging myself to write one Haiku a day during the entire month of April. I will be Twittering these as well as posting them here.

Here's my invitation to you: Email me your Haiku, and I will post them on the blog (giving you full credit for authorship, of course). You may send me as many Haiku as you wish during the month. You may send me something every day, or save them up and send them all at once. I promise not be too strict, but you should try for the 5-7-5 pattern. You may have your family or your classroom participate. If I get at least 10 participants, then I will select one of you to win a gift certificate good at PlayFair Toys or at www.playfairtoys.com. The size of the certificate will depend on how many of you participate - but it might be as much as $100!

April Poetry
A month to celebrate words
Join me in my game!

No comments: